[jhb] Re: Progress

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 00:46:52 -0000

When I designed/converted the Tiger Moth for FSX I thought the job would
just entail a rehash of the bmp textures to dds and that the cfg and .air
files would not need touching. This was definitely not the case and it was
found that MS/Aces had changed the flight dynamics engine significantly.

When the new .air file values were finally unearthed someone posted on Avsim
the steps needed to convert FS2004 files to FSX. It was only then that I
could produce a working model but the surprise was that whole sections of
the .air file for FS2004 were missing in the FSX version. This started the
discussion into the accuracy of the FSX flight performance with many
designers saying that the flight modelling was dumbed down and that FSX
lacked the fidelity of the FS2004 performance engine. Aces said it was
because flight performance used too many CPU cycles and they simply
rationalised the .air file to work better but there was a lingering doubt
that performance was sacrificed for more power to run the visuals.

When I came to rework the Tiger's .air file I had to chop a lot of sections
out of it and I couldn't believe it would not affect handling. For many
pilots this would not be noticed as most rarely go beyond 30 degrees of
bank, hardly ever use full and instant control inputs or fly anywhere near
the edge of the flight envelope. That is probably a high percentage of all
users - especially IFR pilots who spend most of the time on autopilot.

It was this nagging doubt that made me stick with FS2004 plus the
probability that my PC at that time wasn't up to running FSX. The downside
was that FSX offered a few incentives like the use of higher resolution
photo scenery and better environmental effects.

I guess this has still swayed my thoughts which is why I have put FS2004
back on as well as FSX. Once I have both running I'll be able to take an
identical aircraft in each and put them through some tests to see if I can
spot any handling compromises in FSX.

Regarding the tweaks I'm not that interested in the suggestions that would
make FS2004 run faster or boost frame rates but just those (like Phil's
traffic tweak) to make the sim more realistic.

http://woodair.net