[jhb] Re: Pireps

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:18 +0100 (BST)

I've got a Tommy handling notes book somewhere...............

Surprisingly, it doesn't give short field techniques.  the best i can
give you is for an aircraft at maximum allup weight (MAUW)

Stall speed clean 48 knots
Stall speed full flaps 47 knots
(The flaps do not add lift on the Tommy, only drag).

Landing distance ISA conditions and dry level tarmac 466 metres
Add 20% for grass = 560m
T/O distance (dry level tarmac) ISA conditions  nil wind 400m
Add 20% for grass = 480m

I don't thing FS can distinguish between long grass short grass, wet
grass or dry grass) but for for each factor you would multiply your ISA
T/O 'T' by 20%
So for long wet grass it would be  T x 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.2 or almost 700m

T/O distance is the distance from standing to a height of 50 feet above
the runway.
The landing distance is similarly from a height of 50 feet to a
standstill.

ISA conditions are Sea level and an atmospheric pressure of 1013mb and an
air temperature of 15oC.

The Tommy isn't a brilliant short field performer, but I'm one of a
relatively few number of pilots who actually like it when tame.  When
angry it bites.

It could take you a bit of practice to get into places like Halwell. <g>

Peter