[jhb] Re: Pireps

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:23:12 +0100

Ah but then there's Ground effect. If my understanding is correct, this is
the air displaced downward hitting the ground and coming back up underneath
the aircraft thereby increasing the lift.  This is more apparent in low wing
aircraft for obvious reasons and will impact on both landing and take-off.
Ou would need to be aware of it's impact because as you climb it disappears
extremely quickly or conversely, as you try to land it will be resisting.
Should you be doing a flaps/slow speed/ high AOA take-off, the need to gain
speed could be critical to compensate for the loss of ground effect.

Paul