[jhb] Re: Pireps

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:30:33 +0100

Something I discovered landing a F100 at EGNS last night. Bones had given me "Winds calm"; I had the approach set up perfectly, usual speed, full flaps ... but it just felt wrong coming over the threshold. I have never experienced a medium jet going "floaty" on me, but that's the only way I can describe it. Fortunately I had enough margin to plonk it down after using rather more of the runway than usual, and I stopped before the end - but only just; I had to backtrack for Taxiway B. I could/should have knocked 10 kts off my final approach speed.

Mike L

bones wrote:

Wind is your friend - with a 10kt headwind your
landing run is greatly reduced but pilots get used to this. Landing with no
wind eats up more runway but this is exceptional in the UK and so pilots
don't realise what the normal landing performance is - they become
accustomed to windy conditions and it affects their perception of landing
distances.