[iyonix-support] Network filing system problem

  • From: Evan Clark <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:49:54 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5b67d4e150.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think what is happening is this :-

> command:-   *copy <adfspath>./myfile <NASpath>./myfile
> SMB conversion takes place and the target file becomes:
>      < NASpath>..myfile

Two conversions take place:

/ on the RISC OS system becomes . on the Linux system
but also
. on the RISC OS system becomes / on the Linux system

So, in your example, <adfs>./myfile becomes <adfs>/.myfile

As Steve Fryatt points out, the convention in Linux is that filenames
beginning with . are hidden files. LanManFS respects this convention so
these files are not visible to RISC OS even though the file has been
successfully copied.

The impression I have is that, following the copy, RISC OS tries to
time stamp the copied file but, because it is hidden, fails to find
it and produces the 'file not found' error.

Viewing the copied file by other means [1] shows that the file is
there, but has been stamped with the date and time of copying instead
of the date and time of the original.

[1] For example, LanMan98 can be configured to show hidden files on
the remote system and it shows that the copy has been successful.

> -This is not a valid name in Linux and it gives a file not found
> error.

Or, the file is hidden and it gives a 'file not found' error.

PS. According to the SyncDiscs log, I last backed up such a file on
18th January using LanMan98 and Syncopath in conjuction with
SyncDiscs. There was no 'file not found' error.

On checking all the above before posting, I've now found that the
error has returned :-(((

I reflashed the ROM from RISCOS 5.14 to 5.16 on 24th January, so I'll
first try reverting to 5.14 and see what happens.

Evan.