[iyonix-support] Re: Network filing system problem

  • From: Richard Darby <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:16:05 +0000 (GMT)

In article <0404c7e150.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to backup my Iyonix (5.16 flashed) onto a NAS drive and am
> experiencing not a little difficulty.
> A whole slew of problems are a result of illegal characters in the
> RISC OS file names. This leads either to a screw up of the the file
> name or an abort of the backup.

> For example !Director has 6 files called /cvsignore.
> This causes an abort as "/" is an invalid file name character in Linux
> which is the operating system in the NAS box.

> !Zap has a file called bdf->Zap this does not cause an abort but it
> shows up on the NAS drive as: BDF-Z~1S. I think this is caused by the
> window SMB component as ">" is invalid in window file names.

> Ok - I will have to work round the above problems as the cause is
> operating system file naming incompatibilities, rather than bugs in
> RISC OS.

> BUT ... if you have a NAS disk and a copy of !ffmpeg you can try to
> reproduce the following problem:

> Open the application !ffmpeg and drag and drop the sub directory:
> ffpresets onto a filer window on the NAS drive. In my case it appears
> to copy successfully.

> Now open the ffpreset directory, two of the 16 files are missing,
> apparently not copied. However, delete the visible files and the
> missing 2 files appear.
> A further oddity is that the filer count function only counts 13
> files, but *enumdir counts all 16.

> There has got to be a bug in here somewhere!

I think it may depend to some extent on what software you are using to
connect to the NAS drive - you don't say.

Software like !Lanman98 and !FTPc will automatically convert illegal
characters, eg slash and dot are swapped.

Under Linux the slash is the folder separator so an unconverted filename
starting with a slash is not recognised.

However a hidden file under Linux starts with a dot so a Linux file copied
to RISC OS with conversion would start with a slash as in your /cvsignore
above but when you try to copy it back the software you are using is not
converting it back to a dot on the Linux system.

As I don't have a NAS drive I don't think I can do any more to help at the
moment.  But the above may be a pointer to the solution of the problem.

Richard Darby.

--
|_)o _ |_  _.._ _|  | \ _.._ |_        / Powered by: Iyonix and RiscOS 5
                                /    /   Hosted by:  OrpheusInternet
e-mail:  richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      /     for RISC OS and all OS's
Website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk  /  http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/