[iyonix-support] Re: Network filing system problem

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:07:08 +0000

On 30 Jan, rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
    <0404c7e150.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am trying to backup my Iyonix (5.16 flashed) onto a NAS drive and am
> experiencing not a little difficulty. A whole slew of problems are a
> result of illegal characters in the RISC OS file names. This leads either
> to a screw up of the the file name or an abort of the backup.

I assume you're using LanManFS of some flavour, with SMB?

> For example !Director has 6 files called /cvsignore. This causes an abort
> as "/" is an invalid file name character in Linux which is the operating
> system in the NAS box.

The fact that / is a directory separator on Linux is irrelevant: the / will
map to . at the RISC OS end, so /cvsignore will become .cvsignore.
Filenames starting with a dot are hidden files on Linux, so the NAS won't
admit to LanManFS that the saved file is there; LMFS then trips over.

You need to configure the NAS to reveal hidden files over SMB.  This is a
configuration option on the NAS (if it can be configured; it can be with a
Samba installation on a Linux box), and therefore not really within the
scope of this list.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/