[iyonix-support] Re: Network filing system problem

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:10:50 +0000

On 30 Jan, rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
    <5b67d4e150.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> As Steve and you have pointed out the slash should get converted to a dot
> on the way from adfs to the NAS.
>
> I think what is happening is this :-
>
> command:-   *copy <adfspath>./myfile <NASpath>./myfile SMB conversion
> takes place and the target file becomes:
>      < NASpath>..myfile
> -This is not a valid name in Linux and it gives a file not found error.
>
> command:-   *copy <adfspath>.myfile/txt <naspath>.myfile/txt is ok as it
> does not result in a double dot in the file name.

Of course this isn't what happens.  Since the start of cross-platform file
transfers, RISC OS has been able to translate filenames and directory
separators into an appropriate format for the target system.  Nothing would
work otherwise.

  $.File becomes /File

  $./File becomes /.File

Both are valid on Linux.  As I explained, in my previous post, /.File is a
*hidden* file on Linux, and Samba in its default setup does not return
details of these to LanManFS.

I repeat: it is a *NAS* configuration issue, and has *nothing* to do with
the RISC OS software.  You need to change the NAS' Samba configuration to
return details of dot-files.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/