[iyonix-support] Network filing system problem

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:09:59 +0100

I am trying to backup my Iyonix (5.16 flashed) onto a NAS drive and am
experiencing not a little difficulty.
A whole slew of problems are a result of illegal characters in the
RISC OS file names. This leads either to a screw up of the the file
name or an abort of the backup.

For example !Director has 6 files called /cvsignore.
This causes an abort as "/" is an invalid file name character in Linux
which is the operating system in the NAS box.

!Zap has a file called bdf->Zap this does not cause an abort but it
shows up on the NAS drive as: BDF-Z~1S. I think this is caused by the
window SMB component as ">" is invalid in window file names.

Ok - I will have to work round the above problems as the cause is
operating system file naming incompatibilities, rather than bugs in
RISC OS.

BUT ... if you have a NAS disk and a copy of !ffmpeg you can try to
reproduce the following problem:

Open the application !ffmpeg and drag and drop the sub directory:
ffpresets onto a filer window on the NAS drive. In my case it appears
to copy successfully.

Now open the ffpreset directory, two of the 16 files are missing,
apparently not copied. However, delete the visible files and the
missing 2 files appear.
A further oddity is that the filer count function only counts 13
files, but *enumdir counts all 16.

There has got to be a bug in here somewhere!

--
Midland User Group - http://mug.riscos.org
"if you are travelling the road of the majority, one thing you can be