RE: Is ISA a good fit?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:19:09 -0800

Given that ISA was designed to operate in an Enterprise and Wingate wasn't,
it's no surprise that real-time monitoring was left out of ISA.
When you're serving several hundred thousand requests per second, real-time
monitoring is too expensive.

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver
 http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison
 http://isatools.org

 Read the help, books and articles!
    From: Ray Dzek [mailto:rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Posted At: Thursday, December 11, 2003 7:54 PM
    Posted To: www.isaserver.org
    Conversation: [isalist] Is ISA a good fit?
    Subject: [isalist] Is ISA a good fit?

    http://www.ISAserver.org

    Request For Information...

    It appears that lately I seem to be finding all the things that ISA
cannot do.  Is ISA supposed to be an "Enterprise" level application that can
truly support Enterprise level needs?  Or am I simply just asking too much
of ISA.  I am asking this sincerely.  I have used MS Proxy and ISA for
several years now.  Frankly, I have not really looked at other products.
But now that our business has grown, so has the complexity of our network.
I keep running into issues where ISA is a roadblock and not a asset.  Are
the problems with authentication, not passing protocols (even when defined),
VOIP, etc ISA centric, or am I going to have these same issues with any
firewall product we purchase?  In our mixed environment of Windows, Mac,
Linux, and Solaris, is ISA really a good fit?  Will there be a release of
ISA that will address these issues in the immediate future?

    Thanks to all with more insight into this than I have.