RE: Is ISA a good fit?

  • From: "Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CIT1.1) *" <Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:23:18 -0500

In my experience you will have problems with any firewall product, they will
just appear in different places.  I have used other products (Gauntlet, FW-1,
BlackIce, PIX...) and there are issues.  ISA is a very good product and yes it
qualifies as an enterprise-class package, there is no question.  Is it the
_right_ product?  You have to evaluate your own environment to recognize what
the right product is.  I have been using ISA in a mixed environment quite
successfully for some time now.  But my needs don't necessarily reflect your
needs, either.

If ISA is the roadblock, chances are your firewall (in general) is going to be
the roadblock.  ISA is usually not the problem when it comes to protocols.  A
lack of understanding of the protocols and how to handle them is usually the
problem (not saying this is necessarily the case in your situation, no offense
intended).  You have to understand the difference between packet filtering and
application filtering and when to do one and when to do the other.

The more complex your environment is the worse your firewall overhead is going
to be and the more attention you're going to have to pay to it to get it to
work right, no matter what the product.  But as your complexity grows so also
does your need to pay attention that the complexity is not growing needlessly.
A poor overall systems design is the downfall of any firewall (or any other
system for that matter).

-Shawn

-----
Shawn R. Quillman
Robert Bosch Corporation RBNA/CIT1.1
38000 Hills Tech Drive
Farmington Hills, MI  48331
(248) 553-1164 (P)     (248) 848-2855 (F)
shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx