RE: 95th percentile reports

  • From: "Robert" <rzeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:52:38 -0700

Here's how it works:
Our upstream counts every bit of our traffic.  Every seconds an average is
taken.  During a month's time, the top 5% (36 hours) of samples are thrown
out.  We are then billed on the highest sample, excluding the top 5%.  In
our case it is $400 per meg.  Our connection is a 100Mbit port.  If
something went wrong we could get nailed with a huge bill.  We have about
50 email acounts and a dozen low traffic web sites.  Out 95th averages
about 200Kbps = $80 / month.

I am told that this is a common billing method.

-
Robert