RE: Is ISA a good fit?

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:48:10 -0600

Hi Ray,

Every firewall has its strengths and weaknesses. You'll be on the other
firewall forums with new issues and say "ISA could do this, how come
this one can't?". The grass is always greener.

The protocol problem is almost always related to not understanding what
protocols are required, what is a major problem with the vendors who
assume that everyone is running behind a leaking sieve NAT server with
UPnP enabled. Firewalls required inbound and outbound access control.
ISA will support virtually all protocols if you know what protocols are
required. However, the SIP VoIP issue is one for a lot of firewalls, not
just ISA.

The devs for these products need to realize that people use firewalls
these days instead of using all public addresses on the corpnet and
routing everything through directly through a router :(

HTH,
Tom

  _____