RE: Is ISA a good fit?

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <M.Hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:40:37 +0100

Ray,

I do remember that you wanted to part with ISA not too long ago. I am
glad to see you sort of changed your mind - or at least you changed your
perspective :)

While I agree that the ISA log files are not a real bummer when it comes
to unauthenticated access (boy I do miss the IPs sometimes), I never
encountered problems with protocol passing that were not caused either
implicitly by protocol design or by insufficient knowledge on the side
of the operator.

IMO, you are going to have the very same problems with any other product
out there, unless it has built-in support for your special needs. But
then it's only a matter of time that you'll be facing another problem
that this product will not be able to address. The big pluses of ISA are
scalability, expandability and flexibilty, as well as the many third
party products which add extra functionality. Of course, some of the
great features ISA offers are MS centric, but this wouldn't disqualify
it's suitability for mixed environments.

The upcoming ISA 2004 will change a lot of things; you might want to
check out the ISA 2004 public beta, which is due in early 2004, see

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/beta/default.asp

As has been said already, the question for fitness can not be answered
in general. For the problems you outline, it depends on how much weight
you put on certain aspects of functionality to determine the fitness of
a particular product. If you really need to answer this question, why
don't you put up a decision chart, evaluate some other products and make
a decision based on your findings?

Mark