RE: Is ISA a good fit?

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:27:27 -0600

Hi Glenn,

I appreciate you taking the time to share those experiences.

Now, I can tell you that have have an SLA with my ISP that allows me
100GB/mo of traffic and then I pay for overage. I always go over and
will probably have to increase it to 150GB/mo. For the last six months
I've pumped through a single ISA firewall a total of about 830GB (this
is a T1).

I'm publishing:

HTTP
HTTPS
OWA
FTP
NNTP
DNS xMany
SMTP
POP3
IMAP4
Secure Exchange RPC
And of course serve as the local ISP for our neighborhood via WAPs.
I also use VPN when out -- but don't have a gateway to gateway link,
although my customers do and they don't complain to me about it.

After the rollup hotfix that was release many months ago was applied,
the ISA firewall runs about the same as my refrigerator. I never think
about it except to run my daily log analyses. Same goes my customers,
but they get their logs analyzed once a week :-)

So, I think that layer 1 issues, and possiblly layer 8, is what causes
these problems. I see many people make the same complaints, but the
thing is that when I put things together, I don't seem to have the same
problems :-\

Thanks!
Tom
Thomas W Shinder