[openbeos] Re: VLC

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:33:52 +0100

On 2006-03-17 at 03:07:25 [+0100], "Mikael Jansson (mailing lists)"
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Well, I'd love to use Trac, but there are a few issues:
> > > It's difficult to install.
> >
> > Not really but there are a lot of components. It would be nice to see
> > Clearsilver replaced by something like TALES.
> >
> Edgewall's considering moving to Kid <http://kid.lesscode.org/> for
> Trac-0.11 <http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/milestone/0.11>.

Kid draws on TALES so that's fine with me.

However, I remember that one of the reasons why Trac wasn't chosen was the
hosting issue - it needs to be on the same machine as SVN. If this is no
longer an issue then it should be noted that Trac comes with a script to
import Bugzilla.

>> Timeline and Roadmap will be part of my solution, too. In fact,
>> please
>> take a look at
>> http://collaboa.org
>> It already has everything implemented. I'm just going to add a few
>> more
>> (very important) features and simplify the UI a little bit.
>
> Not re-using someone else's solution just because it doesn't do exactly
> the last 10% the way you want them to be done, and roll your own stuff,
> is generally a bad idea.  There is a *lot* of active development going
> on with Trac, and there are quite a lot more active devs. Oh, NIH is
> the real term for it.

I think the biggest problems are lack of testing and peer review. Trac now
has real traction, at least in the Python world. But I can also understand
the desire to use a framework like Ruby on Rails as a basis rather than
going from scratch - I would prefer to see Trac sitting on top of Zope 3
than as a standalone development. Of course, I do not buy into any of the
arguments about OR-mapping - with SQL as it is and with RDBMS's as they are
this is never going to happen properly: give me FirstSQL for Python!

Hey, this is open source development. If Waldemar feels happy building his
own solution then that's fine. However, it has to be pointed out that this
also increases the need for developer resources to maintain applications
such as this.

On a side note: nice to see that traffic on the Net Team list has picked up
again! ;-)

Charlie