[openbeos] Re: VLC

  • From: mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:01:24 -0500

From: Michael S <mikesum32@xxxxxxxxx>

> if openbeos is going to use this logo ... ill bailing.

I guess the first thing that I want to say is that if your choice of OS
is based on logo, I think you need to reconsider your criteria.
Marketing materials are the worst possible way to make a technical
decision, especially the ones that you have the power to change.

> it's such a lame logo.

Maybe so, maybe not. Obviously there is a LOT of difference of opinion
on this. I very much dislike these quasi-threatening "if you don't do it
my way, I am gone" emails. We have had a few, and in every case, the
decision was not altered by them. Rational conversation is far more the
open source way.

> hell, it's not as though im even listed on your site as
> contributing anyway

I am not sure what sort of contributions you are refering to. If it is
financial, we NEVER list those - it is a privacy thing. If you
contributed code or a newsletter article or something along those lines,
please mail me off list and remind me of it.

> ... (i got sick of asking ppl to add my name. i can find better
> places to
> spend my time and resources.)

Certainly your choice.

> also, the lack of updating the web site ... its still the plain old
> (dare i
> say ugly) look that was suppose to be changed.

This is an open source project. That means that it is community run. If
it isn't happening fast enough, volunteer to help. That's the way that
OSS works. Complaining at people who are giving their work to you out of
the goodness of their hearts is NOT the way to progress your agenda. We
have been looking at a web site redesign for a while. It is FAR from a
trivial task - we have yet to find a content management system that we
like, not to mention that the professional graphic designer who did our
current site gfx (for free, I might add, in his spare time) no longer
has time to contribute.

Guys - having been around in the Be days, I remember a lot of this sort
of attitude. It ends up causing devs to leave lists, people to be
discouraged, etc. This is OSS - the whole project is about community.
The community builds, the community decides. Same as it was with the
name, for example. If you don't like what is going on, get involved. Not
by demanding, but like a servant. When I look at my email, the first
ones that I read are from people who are working on stuff, whether it is
code, WalterCon planning or documentation. When there is a question like
this, I value the opinions of people who contribute FAR more than those
who don't when I have to make a decision. Because they have sweat
equity. It is like that with EVERY OSS project out there. From the BSD's
with their boards of directors to Linus.

Mike - I am very sorry that you don't like the leaf. I have yet to see
anything that makes me say "YES - we should dump the leaf for THIS!!!".
Nothing even close. Maybe it is "lame". Personally, I think that it will
grow on you the same way that the name grew on me (Haiku wasn't my first
choice then; it would be now). Maybe not - you could certainly create
your own distro with its own branding elements if that would make you
happier. I hope that you will stay around and be a positive influence on
the community.

Michael