[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Joachim Seemer" <j.seemer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:48:48 +0200 CEST

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:04:39 -0400 (EDT), FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
> From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>

> I hope the new names "Flip Sideways" and "Flip Upside Down" will
> alleviate this problem for you.

I think it does. Though I wonder if localized versions would be as smooth.
In any case, I never really had the need to flip an image in a viewer.
Rotating, sure...

> > Since these operations may become computationally intensive with large data,
> > the app mustn't block while mirroring. Maybe even a rastered preview could
> > be computed first so you instantly see if you got the right mirror.
>
> Again proper names should be helpful in this and alleviate the need
> for a preview. Also I feel having these operations block in an app
> like ShowImage is acceptable since what else would you do while the
> image was being flipped?

Maybe I just confused or mistyped the "Rotate CW" shortcut with "Flip
Sideways". My machine is very slow, and another app is burning cycles encoding
video stream. Now I sit starring at the monitor while Showimage++ is flipping a
12 megapixel RAW image when I really wanted it rotated... :)
There's no reasons to ever block when doing something that has even the remote
possibility to take noticable time.

> For anyone with a simple geometry background the rotation operations
> should be pretty clear.

Of course. It's just a way to cut down on shortcuts and menu items and I think
the user would "get it" pretty quickly. Anyway, I can understand your concerns.
It was just a whack idea I wanted to throw into the thread... :)

J.Seemer