[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:50:36 -0400

On 4/19/06, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But.. in general, I don't believe in design by committee/community.
> There has to be a vision. Some kind of idea. Giving people
> what they need (=what they want?), yes, but pleasing everyone
> end up a hodge-podge.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment in your email here, and I REALLY
AGREE with the above. Design by committee has always been a disaster
in my opinion, because you just can't please everyone all the time.

> I wonder if the simplicity of ShowImage can be retained,
> if you add the concept of physical data rotation in addition
> to persistent fake rotation. How do you present that to the user?

It would be very confusing to have both. IMHO we should keep things
how they are and the physical data rotation could be left to a tracker
add-on or another application.

> I absolutely see the value in red eye reduction, resizing,
> cropping, rotating and all that. These are things I need
> myself. I'm basically not sure -how- I want them.

Well after reading your email I was contemplating on just the name of
the app in question: ShowImage. Of course we inherited the name from
BeOS, but don't you think we might be getting a little too far from
the CORE purpose of this application the more we add image editing?
I'm not sure what the solution is either, but let's be wary of feature
creep in the beautiful simplicity that is part of why we all love
BeOS.

Ryan