[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:09:51 +0000

I agree you should be able to do some simple photo enhancing tasks without
needing to use a full-blown GIMP-ish app.

I still think there's scope for a couple of apps.

The first time I copy some new photos across from my camera I want to go
through them, rotate them, correct sharpness and colour and suchlike.

If I come across any other image file on my computer 95% of the time I just
want to view it. For things that aren't photos (diagrams, screenshots,
whatever) the photo-editing filters have no real use. For photos that people
have sent me or that I have already corrected, I usually just want to look at
them.

There are lots of different image file formats around, the translation kit is
good to abstract away the differences and ShowImage is a good universal "Well,
they're all images after all" viewer. That sort of app will always be needed.

I consider most of the requests of things to add to showimage to only be
applicable to photos, and therefore a standalone app for simple photo
manipulation would be good. I'm also thinking ahead a bit to RAW support and
the other things that make photos unique - the ability to losslessly alter
white balance and things. I quite like the idea behind Apple's Aperture (never
used it, just seen the screenshots) - an app expressly designed for photo
manipulation recognising the source as a photo rather than just a grid of
pixels.

Simon

> From: Helmar Rudolph <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/04/20 Thu AM 09:05:06 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations
>
> Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
>
> > I find it ridiculous that the average user has to fire up a monster
> > imaging application like Photoshop, GIMP, or WonderBrush to get *simple*
> > tasks like "extract", "resize", "sharpen", "change contrast", "remove
> > red eyes" done. There is a huge gap between simple image viewers and
> > image processors.
>
> Amen. Even better if ShowImage had a plugin interface that allowed
> developers to add functionality and users to add those plugins as
> they need them. Or am I leaning myself too far out of the window
> here? ;)
>
> Helmar

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software