[haiku] Re: Reducing paper waste at conferences

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:39:31 +0100

-- Ingo Weinhold, on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:29:34 +0100:
> discussion on something more concrete, like how the Haiku project can
> improve
> its environmental footprint is totally on topic IMO, and I'm glad you
> brought
> it up.

I'm sorry to bring this thread back on topic... :)

First off, I haven't been on a big conference in ages and never manned
a booth, so this idea may not be practical in reality. How should I
know...

Today many people, and on these conferences probably *all* people, have
their smartphones with them. How about we set up a sign (and pointing
it out when talking with a guy): "Get our info via bluetooth, mms or
email". Then, instead of handing out a printed flyer, the boothee and
the interested visitor whip out their phone and send over a PDF.
Sending via MMS would require a kind of flatrate with your provider,
otherwise it would by financially prohibitive, I guess.
I'm fairly ignorant WRT bluetooth. Maybe when Oliver got Haiku's
bluetooth in shape, the PDF can be broadcasted automatically, so every
visitor can initiate the transfer on his own? Like the open WLAN idea
someone posted recently (sorry, can't find who right now).

We can offer to email the info. Make clear that this would be a one-
time mailing (of course with a link to join a very low traffic
announcement mailing list to keep uptodate) and the contact will be
deleted again right away. Use Haiku's People app to have them enter
their email address themselves (integrating them in a demo (maybe using
the Group attribute for a live query to show how easily it's all
deleted :) )) or let the visitor send his contact via phone.
The advantage of emailing: It's a reminder a few days after the
conference when their bags of flyers are already in the trash.

And finally, since all these phones have a camera integrated, why not
have your fellow booth man take a picture of yourself and your visitor
with his phone/camera in front of the Haiku booth, having him hold up a
sign with the http://haiku-os.org URL. A day to remember... :)

Anyway, it seems so quaint producing coloured paper and shipping it
here and there, when everybody has a treky mobile multi media
communicator in their pocket.

Also, consider that Haiku's focus at the moment is the tech savvy geek
and developer. We still target the people that are already genuinely
interested or got interested when visiting the booth. It's not your
bumbling passing-by enduser.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de