[haiku] Re: Reducing paper waste at conferences

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:09:41 +0100

Jorge G. Mare wrote:
Hi Alexandre,

Alexandre Deckner wrote:
Well i don't blame you in particular, i know most of us sincerely want progress, sorry if i sounded harsh. It's just the global "there's no alternative" trend that is hard to hear for me. At least here i'm glad we moved from there to considering recycled paper.

Thank you for moving this topic to a separate thread. I am not particularly against finding ways to be more eco-friendly, but in principle I would like to be able to keep the focus of any particular thread to the intended topic so that the discussion does not get derailed.

In principle you're right, note though how i tried to be brief, polite and stay on to the point. Now in reality, you simply seem against finding solutions as you show again in your following paragraphs and other mail, it seems more to me that this is the disagreeing with you that is off topic.

On the topic of being eco-friendly, I am with Charlie here, in that I also find a bit of irony in the fact that this paper waste issue is being raised at a forum that belongs to a technology sector that in general can be considered to be very wasteful and echo-unfriendly in itself.

Not that that I think that we should not be conscious on the use of paper, but really, there are many many more things in the technology sector that are way more wasteful and eco-unfriendly than giving out some fliers at a conference.

That "irony" you mention now is the "ridicule" i mentioned in my first message. Worse problems? Already answered. Ah if only you were backing that with some science. What is a more efficient way of communicating worldwide than sending a few electrons through metal? This is order of magnitudes more efficient than anything else, and some parts already run on renewable electricity (as our new dedicated server does apparently).

Bye,
Alex