[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:37:47 +0100

François Revol wrote:

>>> fs_write_attribute_etc("BEOS:CONTENT", "haiku", B_APPEND_TO_INDEX);
>>> fs_write_attribute_etc("BEOS:CONTENT", "rox", B_APPEND_TO_INDEX);
>>> fs_write_attribute_etc("BEOS:CONTENT", "windows",
>>> B_APPEND_TO_INDEX);
>>> fs_write_attribute_etc("BEOS:CONTENT", "sux", B_APPEND_TO_INDEX);
>>>
>>> Of course this would require many ops but would work.
>>> Would also need some way to clean up all the values for this file
>>> before reindexing.
>>
>> That's interesting because this looks like a very simple extension.
[snip]
>> I guess only one of the values would show in Tracker, though, which
>> means it will probably not work so well for other multi-value
>> examples
>> that have been brought up before, like setting multiple labels on a
>> file. Those might require the type to be something like vector of
>> strings, which is a much more complex extension.
>
> Well since it's supposed to be used for full content indexing it
> wouldn't be interesting to have it shown. There is no reason to have
> Tracker show it.
> Just like it doesn't show other attributes it doesn't know about like
> StyledEdit text_runs or Pe settings.

I was not talking about content indexing here. What I meant was that
earlier discussions have shown that there is a need for attributes
with lists of values, and that this solution would not work for those
other uses because it only really works for hidden attributes.

The only reference I could find to this right now is under the BFS
heading here: http://www.haiku-os.org/glass_elevator/rfc/feature_wishlist

I'm pretty sure there also was a discussion about organizing files using labels.

But again, since this extension seems so simple, it makes sense to add
it for the full text indexing alone.

-Truls