[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:31:01 +0530

Clarification: "Although I didn't follow most of the discussion about
the finer points of OpenBeFS ..." from my previous email means I
didn't understand most of the stuff. Thanks to Matt Madia for pointing
out this ambiguity.

> No.
> Simply because BFS indexes (some of) them.
> Running a query in the end means reading the indices and only if an
> attribute isn't indexed reading them directly.

So far I've been thinking along the lines of a userland process that
runs in the background waiting for files to change and, when they do,
performs some analysis on them and updates their entries in a
database. So you can get fast indexing simply by improving the
indexing features already present in BFS?

What about full content indexing? For a 2000 word PDF, it's possible
to perform some analysis on the data and reduce the amount of content
that has to be indexed, but it's still a substantial amount of
information. Can BFS deal with that?

I think I should read up on BFS before I read about IR techniques.
What would be a good resource? There's a PDF called "Practical File
System Design with the Be File System" mentioned on Wikipedia. Is it
useful or an overkill for what I'm trying to do?

--
Ankur Sethi
http://uncool.in