[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:36:13 +0100 CET

> Although I didn't follow most of the discussion about the finer
> points
> of OpenBeFS, I gather that most people recommend attaching certain
> attributes to each file (and everyone seems to have different
> opinions
> on how that should be done). Wouldn't this involve going through each
> file on disk and reading its attributes every time someone runs a
> query? Wouldn't that slow down the process? Most people (including
> me)
> use Spotlight as a quick way to launch applications.

No.
Simply because BFS indexes (some of) them.
Running a query in the end means reading the indices and only if an
attribute isn't indexed reading them directly.

BeOS had indexed attributes and queries way before Apple came up with
spotlight...

> I have been reading Apple's SearchKit documentation

OSX allows BSD xattrs but doesn't index them at all for spotlight.

> (http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/UserExperience/Conceptual/SearchKitConcepts/searchKit_intro/searchKit_intro.html)
> > and some other articles on information retrieval, and I gathered that
> a database might be the way to go for blazing fast queries. An
> inverted index is what I'm thinking of here.

Which is exactly what BFS is.

François.