[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:39:35 +0100

Hi,

> [...]
> > As for the indexer itself, it sounds like a great idea! I think the
> > index data would need to be stored as BFS attributes as others have
> > suggested -- a separate database would be a kludge IMO, and likely
> > to lead to sync problems.
>
> I don't think BFS is particularly well suited for this task and other file
> systems will need a database anyway. So a database per volume tailored to
> that purpose is the way to go IMHO.

I am pretty sure that a separate database is the only possible way. For the
simple reason, that document format plugins would otherwise render a central
system component, the file system, unstable if they were executed in it's
context. I think there ought to be an article on Ars about how Spotlight works
internally (how it stays in sync with the filesystem notifications).

Best regards,
-Stephan