[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:09:09 -0400

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been thinking about those 3 ideas, and I'm gravitating towards
> idea #3.

I think that is a good choice. One thing I'd like to implore right now
is please be sure the indexer is as efficient and UNOBTRUSIVE as
possible. In my experience the Mac OS X Spotlight system is very
unobtrusive, so you might want to research how that works.

On the other hand I have found Linux indexers like Tracker and Beagle
very annoying and it seemed like they run constantly and consume
excessive CPU and IO whenever they run, seriously hampering my user
experience. Because of this I completely disabled Tracker in Ubuntu
Gutsy even though it is supposedly "integrated" and needed by
Nautilus.

> Since I'm new to Haiku-land, I want to spend a day or two
> getting familiar with the APIs I need before I write my application
> (otherwise I won't know what I'm talking about). I'm reading up some
> stuff about the BeOS from this (very old) book:
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/beosprog/book/

That book is actually pretty good. I found a paper copy a few years
ago on deep discount in a computer shop's clearance book rack :)

Well there is the classic Be Book: http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/

> (Also, any experiences getting Haiku to install on a MacBook?)

I don't know if Haiku works directly on a MacBook, but you can
cross-compile Haiku on a Mac and run it in Parallels, VirtualBox or Q:

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/how_to_build_haiku_on_mac_os_x

Regards,
Ryan