[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:02:09 -0700

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since I'm new to Haiku-land, I want to spend a day or two
>> getting familiar with the APIs I need before I write my application
>> (otherwise I won't know what I'm talking about). I'm reading up some
>> stuff about the BeOS from this (very old) book:
>> http://oreilly.com/catalog/beosprog/book/
>
> That book is actually pretty good. I found a paper copy a few years
> ago on deep discount in a computer shop's clearance book rack :)

We also do provide a single full PDF version (one file, easier to use)
of this book on the Haiku website:

http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/programming_the_be_operating_system.pdf

>> Besides that and the source code for some of the demos, is there
>> something else I should be reading?
>
> Well there is the classic Be Book: http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/

Along with the two above, we keep a couple other misc. references here:

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents

You might even find some interesting stuff in the old Be Newsletters :)

- Urias