[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:55:08 +0100

Stephan Assmus wrote:

> I am pretty sure that a separate database is the only possible way. For the
> simple reason, that document format plugins would otherwise render a central
> system component, the file system, unstable if they were executed in it's
> context. I think there ought to be an article on Ars about how Spotlight
> works internally (how it stays in sync with the filesystem notifications).

An extractor running completely in userland does in no way mean a
separate database is required. All it has to do is write attributes on
the file in the normal fashion.

The SkyOS Index Feeder saves meta data to attributes and full content
to a database. Like already mentioned, some file types will only have
meta data, while others have both. I think this is the only reasonable
approach unless the full text index could also be implemented using
attributes (requires changes to BFS).