[haiku] Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:15:39 +0530

Hi, I'm Ankur Sethi, a first time GSoC student from India. Before I
finalize my application, I would like to discuss some of my ideas with
the Haiku developers. Here's my list:

1. Helping With the WebKit Browser - IMHO, the Firefox port included
with the pre-alpha VMWare image feels slow and bloated. A nice, fast,
*native* WebKit browser would definitely make me want to spend more
time with Haiku.

2. A Media Library Manager for Haiku - I've wanted to write this app
ever since I switched to the Mac (from Linux) about 8 months ago. I'm
an AmaroK fan who has been burned by the horrible media management
features of iTunes. When you have several gigs of MP3's to take care
of and your only weapon is iTunes, you begin to seriously doubt The
Way of Steve Jobs. My app will probably not be as advanced as AmaroK,
but it will share some of the same goals.

3. Spotlight-like Indexing Features for Haiku - I must confess I have
no idea where or how I'd begin with this one, but it's something I'd
definitely love to see this in Haiku. Spotlight is one feature of OS X
that I wouldn't give up for a million dollars.

So which one of those ideas would be ideal for a GSoC project? Are any
of those projects too ambitious for the three month period?

PS: I'm known as GeneralMaximus on IRC. These days I'm online more
often than not, for obvious reasons :)

---
Ankur Sethi
http://uncool.in