[haiku] Re: How to participate in localization of Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:51:52 -0400

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, I wonder if the editor used for the userguide could work for the
> catkeys. The only constraint I can think of is the need to keep the tabs and
> space without any change, and perhaps the utf8 encoding.

I wouldn't just pop the catkeys file up in a big textarea and expect
people to edit that. You are guaranteed to have problems that way. I
would keep the creation of the catkeys files to an actual web script
so you can ensure they are formatted correctly. You might also be able
to check encoding. This way you can present a nice UI on the client
side and also have decent error checking on the server side.

I don't know if the user guide editing system is the best thing for
this, but maybe a new section for Haiku application localization could
be added with the above features. I do think putting this online could
be helpful as people can participate more easily, and even if they
aren't currently running Haiku.

--
Regards,
Ryan