[haiku] Re: How to participate in localization of Haiku

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 06:43:25 +0200

-- Ryan Leavengood, on Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:51:52 -0400:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I wonder if the editor used for the userguide could work
> > for the
> > catkeys. The only constraint I can think of is the need to keep the
> > tabs and
> > space without any change, and perhaps the utf8 encoding.
>
> I don't know if the user guide editing system is the best thing for
> this, but maybe a new section for Haiku application localization
> could
> be added with the above features. I do think putting this online
> could
> be helpful as people can participate more easily, and even if they
> aren't currently running Haiku.

A system like for the user guide may be handy for keeping track of
changes. When a new string is added/removed to/from the app, the
translations are flagged as needing an update. So, maybe editing locale
strings could use a similar system. We'll see how it's all working out
once the system starts getting used.
But I don't think you can work on locale strings when not running Haiku
while translating. You have to see where a string is used to get a
correct translation.
Perfect would be a WYSIWYG mode where you could replace any string of
an app while it's running. But that certainly sounds quite complicated.
Maybe this is something for our friends from Auckland University whose
work on rearranging the GUI while running does somethig similar, though
even more radical.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de