[haiku] Re: How to participate in localization of Haiku

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:44:00 +0200

2009/10/2 Dmitry Belyaev <d.belyaev@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> A few days ago I downloaded and tested Haiku, and I must say that I
> was so impressed with this OS, that I understood that I wanted to
> participate in this project. :)
>
> I'm a professional translator, and I'm working in IT and software. I
> have experience in proofreading and have also worked as project
> manager, so I hoped that I could be of any help. :)
>
> The problem is, I have never took part in open source projects, and I
> have no idea what to start with. Could anyone give me some hints?
>
> And also, I was thinking of starting translating the User Guide and
> BeBook, but I know that generally there's no use of such work before
> the OS localization is completed. So can you please tell me where to
> find information regarding localization of Haiku?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Dmitry.

Hello :)
Most of the documentation about Localization is gathered in my Haiku
blog: http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/2080
There is currently no special system to track the progression of the
various translations.
what you can see is :
-The progress of sourcecode changes needed to localize Haiku :
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4619
-The list of available translations :
http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/search?path=catkeys

To translate an application, you should create or update the catkeys
for your language and attach them to a track ticket in the "Kits /
Locale Kit", like for example http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4682 . We
have one ticket per locale and per application.
For each language, we'd like to find a "Translation coordinator", to
check the wording and make it nice and uniformized (for example the
translation of "Default" you find in many preflets should always be
the same) and also the way sentances are built (passive or active
tenses, no personalization of the computer, etc.)

The most difficult task for now is to track which of the catkeys files
are out of date. The build system of haiku does not check for it yet,
so you have to put the files in place and see if they work (if they
don't the program will fallback to another language, depending on the
preferences you set).

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr