[haiku] Re: How to participate in localization of Haiku

  • From: Dmitry Belyaev <d.belyaev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:32:57 +0400

Hello agan!

> Hello :)
> Most of the documentation about Localization is gathered in my Haiku
> blog: http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/2080
> There is currently no special system to track the progression of the
> various translations.
> what you can see is :
> -The progress of sourcecode changes needed to localize Haiku :
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4619
> -The list of available translations :
> http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/search?path=catkeys
>
> To translate an application, you should create or update the catkeys
> for your language and attach them to a track ticket in the "Kits /
> Locale Kit", like for example http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4682 . We
> have one ticket per locale and per application.
> For each language, we'd like to find a "Translation coordinator", to
> check the wording and make it nice and uniformized (for example the
> translation of "Default" you find in many preflets should always be
> the same) and also the way sentances are built (passive or active
> tenses, no personalization of the computer, etc.)
>
> The most difficult task for now is to track which of the catkeys files
> are out of date. The build system of haiku does not check for it yet,
> so you have to put the files in place and see if they work (if they
> don't the program will fallback to another language, depending on the
> preferences you set).
>
> --
> Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
> Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr
> GSoC student for Haiku - http://haiku-os.org
> GrafX2 project team - http://code.google.com/p/grafx2

Thank you Adrien for these links. I see that I will need some time to
get familiar with the technical part of the work - so I hope to meet
you again as soon as I'm ready.

Also, I received an email with the hint that there's already a
community of Russian guys who have started their translation of User
Guide. Probably the best idea is to participate with them. :)

Cheers!
Dmitry