[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:25:04 +0200

On 2008-04-17 at 16:54:45 [+0200], scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:00 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >  welcome. I was thinking of a format like this:
> >
> >  Package:                FooBar
> >  Version:                7.3
> >  Copyright:              1973 - 2007, John Foo, Muesli Bar
> >  --
> >                                 even multiline examples, which
> >                                 AboutSystem should format
> >                                 properly.
> >  License:                GNU GPL v2
> >
> >  The license name would refer to an equally named file in /etc/licenses/.
> >  avoid conflicts, the name of the file in a optional package should be
> >  ".OptionalPackageDescription", added to the zip file without path name.
>
> Sounds like a great idea.  Once you have a format set, let me know and
> I can start doing some of the grunt work of making the files for the
> packages.

I used the format as proposed. The files have to be called
".OptionalPackageDescription", as proposed, too. The "Package:" and
"Copyright:" fields are mandatory, "Package:" must be the very first one.
"Version:" and "Description:" are currently ignored; "License:" and "URL:",
if given, will appear in AboutSystem, though. For multiple licenses, multiple
"License:" fields can be added, each listing a single license. Fields should
not be empty (rather remove the line completely), and there must be no blank
lines. Lines starting with a space or tab are considered continuations of the
previous line. Multiple spaces in any field value will be replaced by a
single space.

> I'm assuming this will cover everything listed in the
> AboutSystem now along with all of the ones that aren't listed there
> yet but should be.

No, this is only for the optional packages that can be enabled via
AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages. Everything that is part of default image (i.e.
lives in our repository) still has to be added to AboutSystem in
AboutSystem.cpp directly. We could change that, of course, if desired. For
some stuff, like the umbrella entries ("The GNU Project" and "The FreeBSD
Project"), doing that directly in AboutSystem.cpp works better, though.

> Just let me know when it's ok to start and give me
> a couple sample files to get started from.

I have adjusted the packages for automake and jam:

http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/automake-1.10.1-gcc2-2008-03-24-1.zip
http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/jam-haiku-gcc2-2008-03-27-1.zip

Both contain an .OptionalPackageDescription file now. The jam package is
completely restructured. It also contains jam's license, which will be
installed in /etc/licenses.

> Once the framework is in
> place you can close out #2085 and we'll consider #1222 as the ticket
> to put all the files in place.

Done.

CU, Ingo