[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "Jonathon Freeman" <j_freeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:54:06 -0500

Curtis wrote:
> Jonathan wrote:
> > Why not also provide a parameter to help make the required legal
> > adjustments (About This System, etc.)? It seems
> inconsistent to have a
> > way to make the distro compatible but not have a way to make the
> > distro legal.
>
> Well, I'm not sure how you can make it legal when he is
> including additional GPL packages in his distribution and
> then labeling the whole distro on his website as BSD/MIT.

Well, I was referring to the trademark restrictions imposed by Haiku Inc.,
not the copyrights of 3rd-party software that might find their way onto a
3rd-party distro.

And to be fair to Karl, Haiku already includes GPL-licensed software
(binutils, gdb, etc.) yet calls itself BSD/MIT. Not sure what that means
legally, if anything, but if you're going to call out Karl you should also
call out the project as well IMO.

Regards,

Jonathon