[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:28:22 -0700

Karl vom Dorff wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)
> <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)
>     > <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     <mailto:koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi Karl,
>     >
>     >     Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>     >     > Just thought of something... With regards to the 'Haiku Distro
>     >     > Guidelines' it should also mention that you should adjust the
>     >     license
>     >     > in the 'installer' application...
>     >
>     >     Not talking from a distro perspective, but rather from a
>     Haiku one: do
>     >     we really need to display an EULA from the installer? (/me
>     wonders
>     >     what
>     >     is there to agree or disagree with...)
>     >
>     >
>     > I was talking from a distro perspective because I'm sure Haiku
>     doesn't
>     > want to be responsible for other distros, and by default, a
>     Haiku Inc.
>     > EULA is included with the installer app...
>
>     Haiku will always show whatever is needed/appropriate for its own
>     distribution. That our EULA is included by default obviously does not
>     mean that third party distro makers can use it verbatim.
>
>     If a third party wants to make a Haiku-based distro, it will be their
>     burden/responsibility to draft their own EULA and make sure that it
>     meets their requirements, including all legal aspects. This is a
>     given.
>

> Call it what you want, it should still be in the guideline IMO.

IMO, this would just be unnecessarily making the guidelines longer than
they need to be, only to state the obvious.

Anyway, there are hints that the EULA itself may not be necessary and
could be removed; let's see if that pans out first. If the EULA is not
removed from the installer and the general sentiment (among the devs) is
that it is necessary to add this, then it can be done.

Cheers,

Koki