[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:33:54 -0700

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 16:09 -0500, Jonathon Freeman wrote:
> > In line with the above thoughts, I personally we should not
> > spend any time writing "Create your Haiku distro" how to, or
> > changing the build system to support creating distros.
>
> But the build system has a "--distro-compatibility" parameter. In fact that
> parameter is required if you want your distro to be "Haiku Compatible". So
> there's already a build system precedent for facilitating the building of
> distros.

I think this was added at the time of the discussion about the
definition of being "Haiku Compatible", and if my memory does not fail,
the intent was not to facilitate distros (although it could be taken
that way), but to achieve certain consistency in how the "Haiku
Compatible" logo is displayed across all Haiku-based distros, which
would in fact strengthen the Haiku brand and platform, rather than
dilute it.

> Why not also provide a parameter to help make the required legal adjustments
> (About This System, etc.)? It seems inconsistent to have a way to make the
> distro compatible but not have a way to make the distro legal.

Life is full of contradictions, is it not? :)

Anyway, the reasoning for this position is as follows:

* We do not want to encourage distros
* The burden to comply is on the distro maker (not Haiku)
* The sources are available
* It is not a priority for the project

AFAIK, Haiku has always been about trying to avoid a Linux-style distro
hell. Since this is open source, you can't stop people from creating
their distros; it will unavoidable. But there is really no need to
volunteer time and resources to facilitate the exact situation that we
are trying to avoid; *that* would be a contradiction IMO. :)

Cheers,

Koki