[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:36:47 +0200 CEST

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)
> <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  Not talking from a distro perspective, but rather from a Haiku
> > one: do
> >  we really need to display an EULA from the installer? (/me wonders
> > what
> >  is there to agree or disagree with...)
>
> I don't think we do. At least not the base distro. If some company
> takes Haiku and adds their own stuff obviously they can license that
> how they want (though I personally am not sure I would like that sort
> of thing, but oh well.)
>
> Some of the GPL open source apps that like to show the GPL during
> install (certainly on Windows at least) don't have to do that from
> what I know. The GPL is a developer license not a user license
> (though
> sometimes the developer and user are the same.)

EULAs are usually plagued with abusive clauses that wouldn't hold on
court in some countries, plus noone ever reads them, and also in some
countries they are even entirely void because when you read them you
have already open the package and put the CD in the tray which means
you accepted them already before reading them, which renders the
contract they represent reputed as non existent. That's not the case
with downloaded software of course though.

Maybe a shorter text just telling <distro>/Haiku includes several
software governed by different Open Source and Free Software licences,
and telling where they are.

François.