[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:25:31 -0400

Jonathan wrote:
> Why not also provide a parameter to help make the required legal
> adjustments
> (About This System, etc.)? It seems inconsistent to have a way to make
> the
> distro compatible but not have a way to make the distro legal.

Well, I'm not sure how you can make it legal when he is including additional
GPL packages in his distribution and then labeling the whole distro on his
website as BSD/MIT.

Ryan wrote:
>How about we just put this discussion to an end and just put
>either Karl's image or something similar on haiku-files.org.

I understand the "convenience" to have such a distro, but IMHO mixing Haiku
and GPL packages in a distribution is not a good idea at the moment.  I hate
to see this project get slammed with licensing issues.  I've seen some GPL
zealots create headaches for other projects in the past.  This in particular
is why such a distro needs to be distanced from the official project.  This
is also why gcc and other optional packages are separate from the official
images.

Curtis