[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:02:58 -0400

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jonathon Freeman <j_freeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Curtis wrote:
> > Jonathan wrote:
> > > Why not also provide a parameter to help make the required legal
> > > adjustments (About This System, etc.)? It seems
> > inconsistent to have a
> > > way to make the distro compatible but not have a way to make the
> > > distro legal.
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure how you can make it legal when he is
> > including additional GPL packages in his distribution and
> > then labeling the whole distro on his website as BSD/MIT.
>
> Well, I was referring to the trademark restrictions imposed by Haiku Inc.,
> not the copyrights of 3rd-party software that might find their way onto a
> 3rd-party distro.
>
> And to be fair to Karl, Haiku already includes GPL-licensed software
> (binutils, gdb, etc.) yet calls itself BSD/MIT. Not sure what that means
> legally, if anything, but if you're going to call out Karl you should also
> call out the project as well IMO.

Good point. At least I included a license (albeit incorrectly), Haiku-Files
(run by Haiku) doesn't on their website. As well for the packages... i.e:

Subversion <http://www.haiku-files.org/files/Subversion-1.1.3.pkg>
SSH <http://www.haiku-files.org/files/ssh-3.9-r5.pkg> [for
BONE<http://www.haiku-files.org/files/ssh-3.9-bone.pkg>
]