[openbeos] Re: Haiku distro guidelines [was: Haiku VmwareBuild Environment]

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:54:45 -0700

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:00 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-04-16 at 20:44:00 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)"
>
> <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  > Would it be of any help if I repackaged the optional packages in
>  > haiku-files.org to include their respective license text files? That's
>  > something that even I can and would be willing to do.
>
>  Currently the optional package zips are just unzipped to some place on the
>  image (/boot/home for the ported stuff). So the license would end up there,
>  too. I'd rather have a final solution, like the one I've proposed. If we
>  can agree on that and on a simple file format for those copyright/license
>  descriptions, then the creation and addition of those files would be most
>  welcome. I was thinking of a format like this:
>
>  Package:                FooBar
>  Version:                7.3
>  Copyright:              1973 - 2007, John Foo, Muesli Bar
>                                 even multiline examples, which AboutSystem
> should format
>                                 properly.
>  License:                GNU GPL v2
>
>  The license name would refer to an equally named file in /etc/licenses/. To
>  avoid conflicts, the name of the file in a optional package should be
>  ".OptionalPackageDescription", added to the zip file without path name.
>
>  Unless there are objections or someone else wants to do that, I'll prepare
>  the build system and AboutSystem to eat those files later today or maybe
>  tomorrow.
>
>  CU, Ingo

Sounds like a great idea.  Once you have a format set, let me know and
I can start doing some of the grunt work of making the files for the
packages.  I'm assuming this will cover everything listed in the
AboutSystem now along with all of the ones that aren't listed there
yet but should be.  Just let me know when it's ok to start and give me
a couple sample files to get started from.  Once the framework is in
place you can close out #2085 and we'll consider #1222 as the ticket
to put all the files in place.
-scottmc