[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:24:17 -0800

Hallo Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
2. How is contract law organized in the US? Can you import services
from the EU without paying extra taxes? Also, what are the
requirements for documenting the contract. What do you need to get to
prove that you are not just paying people and evading income taxes?

These questions require a lot of time, but I guess preferably it needs
some advise from an accountant, meaning that you require an initial
investment.

No they don't. Please see below.

Well, we already did that; I have worked for Haiku for 3 months back in 2005 for a very limited rate. That kind of employment isn't exactly what I'm arguing for, but the legal situation is the same.

If the developer wants peace of mind that he will be paid in the amount and timeframe(s) agreed upon, then Haiku Inc. could issue a PO (purchase order) detailing the terms and conditions. To get paid, the developer can then send in his invoice(s) at the agreed timing and the Haiku Inc. pays at the timeframe and by the means agreed upon.

Now if you take these considerations and combine them with my ethical
objections, I would much rather have Haiku Inc. support development
through funding code sprints. By funding code sprints I mean
reimbursing everything: travel costs, overnight fees, food, a bit of
frivolity, such things.

This way you can for the price of funding one developer, support a
number of them and create a productive atmosphere. And while the
developers don't get anything, at least it does not cost them anything
either. And as an added bonus you evade questions on contract law,
importing services and income taxes.

The question was never to cut down the existing reimburses for such work, but extend what Haiku Inc. does to speed up development beyond that.

Exactly. This would be in addition to and not instead of what is already supported. As Ingo nicely put it, this would be a way to buy additional developer time that would not otherwise be available to the project.

This is pretty straightforward stuff, so let's not make it unnecessarily convoluted. :)

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki