[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:01:03 -0800

Matt Madia wrote:
Greetings one and all,

In short:
Below is a proposed annual budget.
Feedback, comments, questions, ....,  are encouraged.

<snip>

$1,000 Domain renewal and dedicated servers *see below
$1,000 Formal coding sprint -- following BeGeistert
$1,500 - North America Shows
$1,000 - EU Shows
$600  Informal mini-coding sprints
$300 Developer Purchases
$100 Marketing
Total Expected Budget: $5,500 / yr

This is good stuff! My gut reaction to the above proposed budget is that it is too low and that more needs to be allocated to development.

As seen from last year's Haiku Code Drive, where Haiku raised close to $8K in two weeks, I believe the community is capable and willing to fund at a much higher level given the opportunity and the motive. So my recommendation would be to increase the budget considerably (say, to US$20K), and to allocate a major proportion of that to development.

To make your case, I would also suggest that the expenses be organized in top level categories, and then breakdown the into more specific areas; that will give donors a better picture of where their money will go. I have put a sample online for your reference:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tXA3zQC7UbR-_jFUttudWYA&single=true&gid=0&output=html

The above example is for an yearly budget of US$20K, with a breakdown that is arbitrary, so take it with a grain of salt; but I think it gives a good overall picture (a graph is included to visualize how much goes into each area).

HTH,

Jorge/aka Koki