[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:53:06 +0100

-- Jorge G. Mare, on Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:01:03 -0800:
> Matt Madia wrote:
> > Greetings one and all,
> >
> > In short:
> > Below is a proposed annual budget.
> > Feedback, comments, questions, ....,  are encouraged.

> This is good stuff!

Indeed, it is! Thanks Matt and everyone else that worked on that!
It looks like a very decent and modest plan.

> My gut reaction to the above proposed budget is that
> it is too low and that more needs to be allocated to development.
>
> As seen from last year's Haiku Code Drive, where Haiku raised close
> $8K in two weeks, I believe the community is capable and willing to
> fund
> at a much higher level given the opportunity and the motive. So my
> recommendation would be to increase the budget considerably (say, to
> US$20K), and to allocate a major proportion of that to development.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to include such a speculative amount into
a budget that should be reliable. I take it, the sum of $5,500 is a
realistic one, considering past donations etc.

How about this being the "safe" (whatever safe there is) minimal
budget.
Have an additional special dev-donation-drive budget á là HCD where
really well-defined projects are financed (additional Coding Sprints
can also fall under that category, if the participants a have clear
goal). All the overhead is already computed into the "regular" budget,
so one can say everything above this $5,500 goes 100% into development.

I also believe only HCD-like planned projects can attract that amount
of money.

> To make your case, I would also suggest that the expenses be
> organized
> in top level categories, and then breakdown the into more specific
> areas; that will give donors a better picture of where their money
> will
> go. I have put a sample online for your reference:
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tXA3zQC7UbR-_jFUttudWYA&single=true&gid=0&output=html

See, Matt, that's why Jorge is in marketing. :)
Looks very nice, Jorge, and offers additional info that make it all
much more tangible.

Thanks again for working on that budget. This kind of transparency and
planning ahead will go a long way in giving confidence in donations.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de