[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:49:59 -0800

Hallo,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2009-11-23 at 19:37:11 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think this is doable from a funding perspective, even if it meant
hiring the developer only part-time. However, whether there is a
developer able to deliver and willing to be hired to work on Haiku or
not, that's what I am not so sure about.
The main problem is that it is currently not wise to pay developers
competitive rates - that would just be too expensive, even with the
larger budget. IOW while I would be okay with working for Haiku on some
things for a reduced rate, I would do so only for a limited number of
hours/projects.

Same here.

And that should be perfectly OK, as it would still be a much more effective use of the funds to get Haiku closer to R1 faster IMHO.

Not sure how the situation is like for our other freelancers, though. I
would be against hiring someone from the outside in any case - that
didn't pay off so well in the past, and would also likely cause less
outcome for the money.

+1

That was my thought too. The intern that was hired a few years ago turned out to be a disappointment. Also, don't know about 2009, but HCD 2008 did not do that well in converting the funds into usable code, so while it was successful as a fund raising exercise, I can't help but think that the ROI would have been higher had the funds been used hire one core dev (even if it were on a temp basis).

Would it be possible to come up with an R1 roadmap and tie the funding to meeting the various development milestones that would take Haiku to its first full version release?

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki