[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: Dave Osbourne <super_dooper_dave_osbourne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:45:35 -0800 (PST)

I'm against any purchase of professional services/software developers for Haiku
development or promotional, or for any derivatives thereof.
Regards...
On 2009-11-24 at 19:12:10 [+0100], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[snip]
> I am pretty sure that the US has requirements for administrative
> documentation for employing US and non-US residents/companies as
> freelancers. I know that also for freelancers it is very complex to set
> themselves up as freelancer here in The Netherlands (and probably other
> countries as well). Now you might say that's the burden for the receiver,
> then I understand. But it remains that this legally is not something
> trivial for freelancers/contactors.
>
> I concur when you argue that the numbers are so low that they will fly
> under the radar, but it is for the Haiku Inc. board to decide whether
> they are willing to take that risk (however low it is). I would make an
> informed decision, if I was them.

IMHO, you are absolutely right that it will involve some administrative
burden to do this, but we should not base our argumentation pro/contra on
that. It's also insanely complicated to build an open source operating
system, yet we are doing it. ;-)

I find your arguments on the ethical side much more interesting, and I do
see them as well, that's why I made a remark that things could be awkward
in my first mail on this thread. But the other side of the equation is that
Haiku Inc can indeed help to push things forward faster by buying developer
time, which I find very compelling. If you look at my little commit
histogram at <https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/stippi> you can see when I had
jobs... and I am sure the same applies to the other freelancers.

Best regards,
-Stephan