[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 01:39:35 +0000

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> -Blog pages should only be editable by high-level editors.  My
>> rationale is that to an normal web visitor, the content appears to be
>> from the author -- as opposed to someone who edited the page. Haiku
>> Inc.'s contact information. would be another example.
>>

> Editing content does not alter the author information, unless you change
> it deliberately.

That's exactly why i would want blogs to be editable by a smaller
group of people.  Lets say Developer#42 writes an article.
RandomUser#333 is a real (insert descriptive negative word of choice)
and has a personal vengeance against Dev#42.   RandomUser#333 would be
able to change that dev's blog post to be contain damaging text.---
worst case something that could have legal repercussions or at least
damaging to their image.   Granted, this is an extreme example, but
even a less extreme situation could agitate the developer.    In
short,  the developer should have the option to "publish this under my
name and restrict write access"  or "publish this under the community
name and allow all access".

>> -There should probably be an intermediate-level... possibly to reduce
>> access to API documentation, event calendars, and other similar
>> information that typically won't change frequently.
>>
>> -low-level would include the howto guides, content specifically
>> created on the Druki , etc
>>
>> -Current editors are grandfathered in to high-level editors.   All new
>> editors start as low-level.  After they've somehow displayed their
>> trustworthiness, they can request to additional editing levels.
>>

> Ah, more bureaucracy, eh? Just kidding. :P

Call it what you want. :)  AFAIK, those with editor access haven't
messed anything up on purpose, so I don't see a reason why they
shouldn't retain their same permissions.

> Upon quick inspection, permission settings seemed to have changed from
> what they originally used to be; I don't know if this was by accident
> (during the D5 upgrade?) or by design, but anyway here are the user
> roles and permissions as originally thought out.
>
> Anonymous user:
>
>    - Access content only
>
> Authenticated user = Anonymous user plus:
>
>    - Create conference, doc for user, doc for devs, news post and RFCs
> (all submissions moderated)
>    - Edit own content (of above-mentioned types)
>    - Post comments
>
> Blogger = Authenticated user plus:
>
>    - Create blog posts
>    - Edit own blog posts
>
> Editor = Authenticated user plus:
>
>    - Edit all content types
>
> Dev = Blogger plus:
>
>    - Create & edit all content types
>
> Admin = Dev plus:
>
>    - All system notifications (mainly to keep an eye on spam accounts)
>
> Superadmin (user 1):
>
>    - Full permissions
>
> So, would adding a Moderator role as an almighty editor to the above
> meet your needs?

No,  What i mean is 1--create new types of nodes.
1-editable-by-all-including-new-users
2-editable-by- users that have proven to make meaningful contributions
or corrections
3-people from group #2 and are trustworthy enough to be allowed to
edit all content, including blog posts and other content that could
potentially damage individuals' names or Haiku's reputation.

then we create two new "editors", for group 1 and 2.

Later tonight or tomorrow, i'll look at the other users.

--mmadia