[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 05:52:36 +0000

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> So, would adding a Moderator role as an almighty editor to the above
>>> meet your needs?
>>>
>> No,  What i mean is 1--create new types of nodes.
>> 1-editable-by-all-including-new-users
>> 2-editable-by- users that have proven to make meaningful contributions
>> or corrections
>> 3-people from group #2 and are trustworthy enough to be allowed to
>> edit all content, including blog posts and other content that could
>> potentially damage individuals' names or Haiku's reputation.
>>
>> then we create two new "editors", for group 1 and 2.
>>

> Before I even try to understand what you are saying here, please explain
> what you mean by "new types of nodes"? Are you referring to a new
> content type? What would this be for?

You have to keep in mind, that I do not know all of the drupal lingo
The best way I can explain myself would be with an analogy....
i obviously don't know the correct term for "new types of nodes", so
mentally substitute it when reading and then eventually tell me the
name. :)

ok, you have authenticated users.   then you have the additive
permissions (from Urias's idea) that are granted to each user.

on the other side, you have individual pages.
then those "new types of nodes" would classify which additive
permission is needed.  I'm not sure what level of granularity is
needed to define those "new types of nodes", eg,  blog, forum
postings, news article, how-to guide.    or something more coarse
grained :  "grant everyone write access",  "grant only super editors
write access", "grant normal editors write access".

In my mind, it's perfectly reasonable to offer at least two different
levels of editor access.   Think about it... there are certainly some
sections of the website that should not be editable by any person
capable of registering an account.  The "new types of nodes" is what
is used to identify the required-editor-permissions on either a type
of content like blogs or possibly individual pages.

> Sorry, but I don't see the bigger picture here.
It's all about damage control.  Just like how most forum and blog
software have restrictions on who can post a comment in order to
prevent spam, our website should have some restrictions as to who can
edit what.

Yes, i understand that the diff+revision modules will enable us to
revert any bad/malicious/incorrect content.  But placing some sensible
restrictions would reduce the need for someone to intervene.