[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:52:40 -0300

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I would like to have a single place with all the accurate and up-to-date
> > information about Haiku as much as you do. But this is open source, and
> > you cannot force people to do one way or another. No matter what you do,
> > there will always be those who prefer to do their thing, and that's a
> > natural part of the ecosystem. I think you just gotta learn to live with
> > that. :)
>
> But, you can give them an "outlet" for their desire to create, along
> with attribution for their contributions, and that can help to keep it
> more centralized :)
>
> It is likely intimidating to ask for editing permission for content
> that can/should be community maintained in the first place, and I
> believe that granting that role to registered users by default may
> start to change this behavior. But also, if they don't realize they
> can edit the content in the first place, then it won't help much.

I think you hit the nail right on the head here Urias. That's what I feel is
happening (and will continue happening). It also goes back to my earlier
comments about needing to join the mailing list, learn the etiquette,
befriend the group, and contribute something, then ask for editing
permissions. IMHO, It's awful cumbersome for someone who might just want to
add a few paragraphs about a feature, application, or process.

> >> In the meantime, I recommend we start tagging the current website
> >> content that needs to be updated or consolidated so that those who do
> >> want to work on that project when the time is right will be able to
> >> locate the content that is in question more easily.
> >>

> > I suppose by content you mean documents? Also, how would you want to tag
> > the documents? Do you want me to add an extra "Needs update" field for
> this?
>
> I was thinking we can just agree on a standard tag for putting into
> the "tags" section of the page at the top, that we can then search on.
>
> Something like "needsupdate" or "needsreview", etc. It's a method I've
> seen used to identify stale, or inaccurate documents on other sites,
> so that "cleanup" crews can come through and fix the issues as time
> permits.

+1

Cheers!